Why A Burma Bridge Busters Webpage?

George Myfelt is my father. Eighty-one years old and still going strong, he lives in Corning, New York with my mother, Evelyn.

My father was born in upstate Pennsylvania in 1925 and grew up on a potato farm during the Depression. In 1942 he pre-enlisted in the U.S. Army when he was seventeen years old.

On the day after his eighteenth birthday, he left school and followed his classmates who had already left for the chaos of World War II.

Upon the completion of his military training he was sent to the China-Burma-India (CBI) theater, where he joined the 490th Bomber Group of the 14th Air Force, also famously known as the Burma Bridge Busters, and fought there until the end of the war.

My father's participation in World War II has always been of great interest to me. With this site I would like to document that experience.

While my father would probably prefer that I not splash his personal information all over the web, he always reads with great interest the contents of any CBI website I send to him. In addition to documenting his personal history with this blog, I also would like to share the information and memorabilia he has from the war.

I am sure there are many out there who are as interested in the subject as he is.